Pluto not a planet ;_; (44)

2 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-24 19:16 ID:4FSva+d9

They haven't voted yet. There's also the possibility of our gaining 3 planets instead of losing 1. Should know tomorrow.

4 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-25 05:20 ID:CXZQQhES

I think it's crap, the solar system needs Pluto darnit. I refuse to accept their decision and await the day it can be overturned.

5 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-25 11:04 ID:IPt4jdBI

>>2

To paraphrase others - this is not a matter of adding three planets, it's more a matter of adding something like forty. There are a LOT of objects out there in the Oort cloud that would fall under the new definition.

6 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-25 13:08 ID:gKSQeIJ2

I think it's just media hype, this "Pluto demoted!" crap.
So what if it's now a "dwarf" planet? It's still a planet!

7 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-28 18:46 ID:4FSva+d9

So wait. Pluto isn't a planet cause it crosses Neptune's orbit. Does this mean Neptune's no longer a planet because it crosses Pluto's orbit?

I mean seriously it seems like they were out to get Pluto.

8 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-29 03:43 ID:eafl+hq4

9 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-31 02:38 ID:YEIWUo7L

>>7
i was wondering the same thing.

10 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-08-31 05:42 ID:gKSQeIJ2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearing_the_neighbourhood
" The phrase refers to an orbiting body (a planet or protoplanet) "sweeping out" its orbital region over time, by gravitationally interacting with smaller bodies nearby. Over many orbital cycles, a large body will tend to cause small bodies either to accrete with it, or to be disturbed to another orbit. As a consequence it does not then share its orbital region with other bodies of significant size, except for its own satellites, or other bodies governed by its own gravitational influence. This latter restriction excludes objects whose orbits may cross but which will never collide with each other due to orbital resonance, such as Jupiter and the Trojan asteroids, Earth and 3753 Cruithne or Neptune and the Plutinos. "

11 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-01 12:09 ID:Zq8GCckX

Looks like da homie is making a phat comeback!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/planetprotest/

12 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-03 06:40 ID:FdT2UeVV

>>7

No, it's because of the object's size. In other words, Pluto's not big enough. It's either, demote Pluto, or bring in a myriad of other objects in space that want to be planets too because they're like the same size.

Dwarf planet status is good enough.

13 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-03 17:14 ID:Heaven

>>12

Pluto is more than big enough, according to both the current definition and the earlier definition that would have brought in a whole lot more planets. None of the proposals have disqualified Pluto on the basis of size.

14 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-04 00:59 ID:gKSQeIJ2

>>7 I think they were out to get Xena...

15 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-07 18:24 ID:Heaven

I think it was the right decision, although I don't understand all the attention it got, few scientists even care about Pluto, its insignificant in the scheme of things. It was all over the news but really there are so many more important things.

16 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-10 12:02 ID:TBz1xgkr

>>15

Actually, a lot of astronomers do care about Pluto. And they are not happy about the new definition, and especially not the fact that only a small fraction of the astronomers present actually voted for it.

17 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-10 16:31 ID:Heaven

>>12
Yeah. Before the change, we had nine planets; now we have eight and two dwarf planets (1 Ceres and Pluto) with promise of more to come.

I think that's cool. 1 Ceres has remained outside the classroom for quite long enough.

18 Name: 15 : 2006-09-10 18:24 ID:Heaven

>>16
Well I don't know anyone, and I do have a background in astronomy. Its not as if its going to no longer be there because its not a planet, neither is anyone forcing anyone to not call it a planet, its just a guideline, call it what you want.

19 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-10 19:03 ID:Heaven

IAU = FAIL spelled backwords and wrong. Pluto is still a planet.

20 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-15 12:08 ID:099+ci+1

You yanks are just jealous because the one time that you make a "discovery", it's not even a real planet. And let's face it, 1 Ceres had it coming for a loooong time, ever since Pluto was declared a planet.

21 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-16 16:41 ID:Pwip22BG

That totally screws up Sailor Moon.

22 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-17 18:03 ID:CXZQQhES

Sailor Moon also refered to the 10th planet Nemesis. And there's the 4 "Astroid" senshi of Ceres, Peles, Vesta, and Juno so Pluto can stay on as a senshi of a dwarf planet, woohoo

23 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-17 23:20 ID:9R04kYJ4

The good news is that Eris finally has her own (dwarf) planet, she kicks Pluto's arse anyday.

24 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-18 05:07 ID:Heaven

>>23
Praise BOB.

25 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-09-19 18:37 ID:099+ci+1

>>23
Yeah, now we just need to start lobbying for the Chao to be its astronomical symbol. You know, the way the female sign is for Venus and the male one is for Mars and so forth.

26 Name: Schmome : 2006-10-04 03:33 ID:g3RsMFxS

Nooo! Poor pluto!

27 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2006-10-06 15:16 ID:R+1hPdiQ

>>26 lives under a rock on Mars.

28 Name: Schmome : 2006-10-07 12:52 ID:g3RsMFxS

>>27

Pluto was my only friend!

29 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-01-27 16:06 ID:kRaa+UrN

everybody knows pluto is a planet.

30 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-01-30 21:35 ID:rBXPGZc+

I'm mildly astonished that no one has posted shift-JIS art of Sailor Pluto yet.

You people are falling down on the job.

31 Name: tsitneicS soumynonA : 2007-03-15 12:51 ID:Uh8p3Ovl

>>14
The new Planet is Xena? Hmmm... Did those people name that planet Xena because they heard battlecries?

32 Name: tsitneicS soumynonA : 2007-03-15 12:52 ID:Uh8p3Ovl

Pluto will be missed.

33 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-03-16 04:07 ID:gKSQeIJ2

Pluto still a planet in skies of New Mexico
http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_5430666

34 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-07-30 14:37 ID:698jbMHp

>>29 pluto isn't, now.
but it is a planet, boku no kokoro no naka ni.

35 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-07-31 23:48 ID:XXiAckVX

>>34

> boku

This is not an English word why did you say it

> no

This is not an English word why did you say it

> kokoro

This is not an English word why did you say it

> no

This is not an English word why did you say it

> naka

This is not an English word why did you say it

> ni

This is not an English word why did you say it

36 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-01 19:39 ID:hAhvoLPp

>> no
>This is not an English word why did you say it

yes it is

37 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-03 00:57 ID:Heaven

>>35

That was not an amusing post why did you make it

38 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-03 01:37 ID:Heaven

>>36
no, it's not. you're thinking of "no" as opposed to "no".

39 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-03 08:11 ID:Heaven

I can feel a "Post deleted by moderator." coming...

40 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-04 11:41 ID:Heaven

>>39

Can you now.

41 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2007-08-10 06:04 ID:Heaven

>>40
It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out against censorship and were suddenly silenced.

42 Post deleted.

43 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2016-11-20 06:27 ID:sTLdiL1K

fuck you 2016 anon

44 Name: Anonymous Scientist : 2017-10-02 22:01 ID:pLm27skz

Pluto is a dog.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
More options...
Verification: